Holiday Safety Tips from Delco Alarm Systems
One of the best ways to avoid a house fire this holiday season is to understand fire hazards, identify potential causes and eliminate any problems before they happen. This time of year people across the country decorate their homes with outdoor holiday lighting and create a cozy home interior with fireplaces and candles. Unfortunately, if not done correctly these holiday traditions can increase the risk of a house fire. The National Fire Prevention Agency notes that by being prepared for potential holiday fire hazards you’ll keep your family safe and your holidays happy.
The National Safety Council also offers some holiday safety tips.
Smoke Detectors are Essential
One of the easiest safety moves is to have your smoke and fire alarm updated, or if need be, have one installed. Alarm systems can detect fire and smoke and notify your local your local fire department immediately. This is especially important if a fire occurs while your family is sleeping or away. Also make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home.
Know Your Hazards:
- Lights: Decorating your house inside and out with lights is a holiday tradition for many cultures. Unfortunately, this can lead to overloaded electrical outlets. Tangled and frayed cords, overloading your electrical system with too many lights as well as an improper configuration can spark a fire. If you have an old set of lights or other decorations that are electrical, always check the cords and verify the integrity of the installation.
- Candles: Open flame is obviously a big fire hazard. Never let candles burn unattended and always keep wicks trimmed so they do not smoke or produce abnormally tall flames. Keep children and pets away from candles. Also, candles should not be used near bedding, curtains or other flammable items. There are many types of battery-operated candles on store shelves today that completely eliminate the risk of fire.
- Outlets: Don’t overload your outlets and use surge protectors when possible. Since electrical usage increases during the holidays the chance of a power surge are greater.
- Space Heaters: During the cold season it can be tempting to reduce your utility bill by using a space heater. Keep in mind that not all space heaters are efficient and actually draw a lot of power, leading to a potential electrical hazard. Flammable items too close to a space heater can also easily ignite.
- Fireplaces: Always keep your fireplace well shielded and properly loaded with wood. Have a bucket of sand on hand in case you need to extinguish it quickly. Keep children, pets and any flammable items at least three feet from the fireplace.
- Christmas Trees: For those who love to have a live Christmas tree make sure to choose a tree that is fresh and keep it watered at all times. Christmas lights get very hot and a tree that is beginning to dry out is at greater risk for fire.
The folks at Delco Alarm Systems want you and your family to have a happy, healthy and safe holiday season. For information about smoke/fire/carbon monoxide alarm systems call our professionals at (610) 494-9100.