BACK TO SCHOOL 2022
School is back in session! This school year, many parents are no longer working from home, meaning their children may be getting home before mom or dad. There are a number of things you can do to make your home a safe place for your child who gets home from school by themselves.
NEW SECURITY SYSTEM ADVANCES
Some of the newer security panels send a text or email with the time the system was disarmed and a photo of the person who disarmed it. When your child gets home, you’ll know it. Some of the newer panels have geofencing capabilities, location-based technologies that use GPS locators on cell phones. You can program the system for a variety of tasks. For example, as your child (with a cellphone) reaches the outside of your house, the alarm system would disarm, the door would unlock and if needed, lights would be turned on. Once inside the door would again be locked automatically. You would also be notified via text or email that your child is home. Many other systems without geofencing allow you to lock the doors to your home using your cellphone. You can also use your phone to live-stream security camera video and arm/disarm the security system. If you worry about your child losing your house key, have a smart lock door handle installed. To
enter the house, simply punch in the code and the door will unlock.
COMMON SENSE THINGS TO TEACH YOUR CHILD
No matter what security features you have installed at your home there are some key safety measures you should review with your children.
- Once you enter the house, lock the door behind you immediately.
- Don’t answer the door for anyone except trusted adults.
- Make sure your child knows how to call 911 in the event of an emergency.
- Devise a code word that they would use in the event they need help.
- Make sure they have phone numbers for other trusted adults if they need help and you are not available.
- Never tell anyone they are home alone.
- Also teach your children never to go inside of their home if something seems amiss, such as an open door, smoke or fire or an apparent break-in.
THINGS YOU CAN DO AS A PARENT
Speak to trusted neighbors, family members or friends to let them know your child will be going home from school by themselves. This way they can check up on your child occasionally.
Keep medications, weapons, matches and lighters locked up. Keep an emergency phone list in a prominent place. In addition to 911, include your phone number, those of trusted adults and
nearby friends. Teach them what to do in an emergency situation and practice the plan. Delco Alarm System professionals can assist you in securing your home and providing you with
the tools to keep your family safe. For more information contact us at 610-494-9100.